SC - Game supplier

Christina Nevin cnevin at caci.co.uk
Tue Jan 18 05:06:31 PST 2000

Christine A Seelye-King wrote:

>         Ah, sorry.  I am, truly, a Meridian, been here all of my 21 years.

21 years? Good heavens! Who'd a' thunk it?

> However, I was born a Northerner (I won't use the "Y" word) and have
> never warmed to many traditional Southern foods  - grits,

yeah, well, you got me

 greens,

a famous 19th-century specialty of Philadelphia, PA

> pork skin,

Oh, you mean chicharrones

 cracklin's,

Oh, you mean grebens

 moon pies,

again, you got me, although these are quite common under other names up here

 giblet gravy, etc.

>         Christianna
>         who *has* learned to love fresh black-eyed peas, real b-b-q,
>         boiled peanuts, mint juleps, Co-Cola, and cornbread.

Okay, folks, she really is a Southerner. At least it looks that way from
up here in the normally not-so-frozen North (3 degrees right now!). I
assume the cornbread is white and sans sugar (I'm gonna get flak for
even mentioning this, I'm sure, but she _did_ say she'd been born a
Y...I mean in the North) and your proper pronunciation of Dixie Nectar
is duly noted.

My point is only that a number of the foods you mention are simply
American. I wonder, though, if I've been failing to distinguish between
urban and rural South?

Adamantius, feeling sensitive about his own regional cuisine
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com