SC - cooks conference

Mary Morman memorman at oldcolo.com
Tue Jan 18 06:48:24 PST 2000

"Laura C. Minnick" wrote:

> Well, I recognized a name, and that was undoubtedly an event in the
> Principality of Avacal. It sounds to me is if: 1) the Chatelaine dropped
> the ball, 2)the author was expecting something much more akin to
> Ren-Faire than to SCA, and 3) the rest of the populace didn't pick up
> that this was a modern visitor trying to fit in...

Given the fact that very few SCA groups can survive as part of a kingdom
with as high and consistent a rudeness quotient as portrayed, the fact
that the very first unfamiliar/unusual incident was immediately viewed
in a bad light, the fact that the author was introduced to the SCA by a
friend who seems pretty obnoxious, but who remains, presumably, a
friend, and the fact that not a single really positive experience is
mentioned in connection with the entire day (not to mention little
things like the consistent positive desire on the part of the author to
embrace the modern so we can be made to look bad by embracing the
medieval), I'm inclined to think that almost all of this account is, to
some varying extent, exaggerated, if not fictional. There's obviously
some grain of truth here, but we're not being told what it is.

I think the day probably contained a number of experiences, some
positive, some negative, and either the author or an editor decided to
play up the negative, and the negative experiences may well have stemmed
from the obvious desire of the author and her companions to enter the
spirit of the thing, despite their claims to the contrary. I'm pretty
certain we're not being told everything that occurred. If the lady
seriously made an attempt and we lost her, that's unfortunate and a
thing to be avoided if possible, but it looks as if what happened, if
what she says is true, that she tried really hard to resist becoming a
medieval person for the day, and succeeded.

I suspect there's a chance the real shame of this is its effect on our
reputation as an organization, and the fact that so many SCAdians are
feeling the need to apologize, even if internally, for something that
may not have occurred.

Adamantius, who'll be a bleeding-heart liberal again, but not just now, thanks
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com