SC - Fwd: Article from the globeandmail.com Web Centre

helen helen at directlink.net
Tue Jan 18 17:16:23 PST 2000

Ras writes:

> And I am in complete disagreement that 'redaction' is inappropriate or
>  'nonspecific' in the way we use it. Certainly, it is inaccurate if you
pull
>  out any single meaning as they are currently found in the dictionary but
> when
>  viewed in the total concept it is very accurate and correct. Within the
> field
>  of cookery there is no need to find a period term for either the
formatting
>  of period recipe into a modern style or for a kitchen steward since
neither
>  activities were done by anyone in the middle ages so far as I know.
>
>  As I stated in a previous post, the word 'redaction' has been used by
enough

>  people for a sufficient amount of time to mean what we do to period
recipes
>  that a far better course would be to point out to the writers of
> dictionaries
>  their error of omission in not documenting this usage of the word.
Arguments

>  for 'purity' of language are, IMO, totally irrelevant. How many people use
>  the word 'nice' or 'fool' in their original meanings?
>
>  Redaction is a fine word for what we do and I, for one will continue to
use
>  it.

Speaking from a non-SCA point of view, I think Ras has a point.  I think he
is wrong, however, when he says: "Certainly, it is inaccurate if you pull out
any single meaning as they are currently found in the dictionary . . ."  In
fact, the Random House College Dictionary's first definition for "redact" is:
"To put into suitable literary form; revise; edit."  This is exactly what is
done when a medieval primary source recipe is rewritten in modern English and
in modern recipe form.  The written recipes we come up with are, literaly,
"redactions".

It's meaning is limited.  A redaction is merely the literary form; the
written recipe, not the process of turning the recipe into a prepared dish in
an attempt to recreate medieval cuisine; the actual preparing of the food.
Correct usage would be: "This potage you are being served was prepared from
my own redaction of a recipe in Harleian MS 279."  Incorrect usage: "This
potage you are being served is my own redaction of a recipe in Harleian MS
279."

In the mundane world, I have observed the term that seems to be used most is
"adaptation", or "modern adaptation", and, when speaking to or writing for a
non-SCA audience, those are the terms I use. I feel that "adaptation" speaks
to the process of food preparation as well as the rewriting of the source
material.  Using "redaction" in these contexts feels overly academic; a
scholarly affectation.

However, as insider jargon, it's great; it's not only an accurate
description, but it's a nice word, too.   I hope that it is retained.

Rudd Rayfield