SC - Farced

Nanna Rögnvaldardóttir nannar at isholf.is
Wed Jan 19 15:59:31 PST 2000

Ras wrote:
><< Nice job on the rendering, though, Mistress Christianna! But did the
> cracklin's go into the French Toast? >>
>
>I understand your humor here but this is exactly why I feel that special
>'jargon,' as you put it, is not only necessary but desirable ...

Meaning that "rendering" is an unacceptable term because someone could make
a far-fetched pun on it? If that's such a serious concern, how long would
"redaction" have lasted in the early fifties? Not much longer than a "proper
gander."

This argument for "redaction" seems to indicate a preference for making any
argument whatsoever in favor of a predetermined belief regardless of the
merits of the argument or the validity of the belief.

The fact remains that calling these things redactions instead of renderings,
interpretations, or adaptations, implies a false claim as to the validity of
one's interpretation of a recipe. Almost all so-called "redactions" that I
have seen on this list have added (and sometimes even omitted) significant
information, rather than merely restating in a different format the
information that was already there. Yet some of us call these "redactions,"
implying that while the form (or medium) was changed, the content is
practically the same as it was in the previous form. Is this honest?

Alex Clark/Henry of Maldon