OT-Re: SC - Lost characters in HTML

cclark@vicon.net cclark at vicon.net
Wed Jan 19 15:48:32 PST 2000

Adamantius wrote:

>I dunno... I'm not sure I entirely buy the idea that nun's balls instead
>of nun's farts is less naughty. Maybe we ought to take this up with the
>curator of the Icelandic Ball Museum ;  ) .

That´s an idea, although there is no need to go to a museum just now for a
taste of balls - the month of Þorri (AKA "the month of sour things") begins
next Friday and all the supermarkets are having a prominent display of
traditional delicacies, balls included. Unfortunately, I don´t know of
anyone who follows the old custom of greeting Þorri - the tradition was that
the man of the house should run three times around the farmhouse, only
wearing one leg of his trousers (presumably holding the other one to avoid
getting tangled in them).

I´ve been trying to talk my son into following ancient traditions but he has
pointed out that since our house adjoins other houses on both sides, he
would have to run around the whole block, past a mental hospital and a hotel
full of American tourists, who would undoubtedly (and understandably) think
he had escaped from the loony bin and snap lots of pictures which would end
up getting plastered on front pages somewhere. So much for old traditions.

Anyway, I´m going to London next week and will be taking a sample of "sour
things" as a present to my host - anyone in that part of the world
interested in a nibble?

Nanna