SC - Contests bring out the worst in me

Christine A Seelye-King mermayde at juno.com
Wed Jan 19 20:23:52 PST 2000

>Here is what Neckham wrote (quoted and translated in _Daily Life in the
>12th Century_); he doesn't give recipes, unfortunately.
>
>"A roast of pork is prepared diligently on a grid, frequently basted, and
>laid on the grid just as the hot coals cease to smoke.
>Elizabeth/Betty Cook

Just what is a grid? Is it a castiron thingie like on my barbecue outside?
(the little paralell bars, etc). Or is it a griddle? or an oddball name for
a spit?

Reading over the recipes that Betty quoted I found myself thinking "HEY,
this isn't really all that far off from how I prepare it now". How much
further would I have to take it to be able to do the cooking in a period
fashion also?

This could be an interesting challenge for a Potrero war perhaps.

Regards,
Maggie MacD.