SC - Okay, my life just got interesting...

Kerri Canepa kerric at pobox.alaska.net
Wed Jan 19 23:07:12 PST 2000

Christine A Seelye-King wrote:

> Queen Carmen wrote:
> >I hold similar views on contests/competitions (heaven knows,
> > they bring out the very _worst_ in me),
> >
> > 'Lainie
>
>         Funny, I rather thought you considered the Miss Slug Fest a coup ;)
>         And from what you've said, I did not get the impression that you
>         considered coconut bras the worst of you!
>         Christianna

Well, there's Worst and there's Worst. You may say that the outfit (and
that's a Dingle-Ball Bra, not coconut-OUCH!- I might add) is the worst
of me. But the SLUG Queen Contest is a very different show, say than the
random Costume contest. The SLUG Queen is all in fun- very very silly,
and is all about being silly in public, and doing it with such aplomb
that thay want you to do it for a whole year! I have never seen/heard of
a judge being nasty, snarky, dismissive, or otherwise less than alot of
fun while choosing a SLUG Queen. I knew it was just fun, and the contest
itself was fun, win or not. You can hardly end up with a bad attitude if
you don't win- and I didn't the first time I tried out. But it was so
much fun I came back. And I know people who try out not even intending
to win- just because it is silly and fun.

Conversely, I _have_ heard tales of nasty, snarky dismissive and
otherwise rude judges in contests. I have seen people reduced to tears.
I have seen (and been one) people be incredulous when their carefully
researched, long toiled-over, skillfully made thingie is denigrated
while a slap-dash glittery thingie gets the kudos. I know that when that
happens I have the King of All Bad Attitudes, even when I try really
hard not to- the system is set up so that someone will be disappointed.
I have identified that I cannot help but get angry and hurt in the
process, that I will have a bad attitude. So I choose not to put myself
in the position where this will happen. Not everyone makes this choice.

There is a difference between someone who will get up in front of a
crowd in a ridiculous costume with a fake accent, and sing and dance
(and deliberately not well- this is part of the charm) in hopes of
getting what can only be the Booby Prize in this city of 120,000- the
chance to have a beat-up rhinestone tiara be placed on your head by a
tall 'Queen' in a duct-tape dress, false eyelashes, and size 12 heels,
and the chance to be both revered and mocked (good-naturedly, of
course), and someone who enters your standard SCA arts contest. The
atmosphere, the criteria, and the purpose are VERY DIFFERENT. And SCA
judges don't hand out enormous chocolate truffle slugs (over five lbs)
either.

Does that make any sense? My ego really wasn't on the line at all when I
got on stage. I can't say that about and SCA contest.

'Lainie