SC - Okay, my life just got interesting...

Kerri Canepa kerric at pobox.alaska.net
Wed Jan 19 23:07:05 PST 2000

Cariadoc wrote:

>Have suitable period nibbles available to give to people who are
>visiting the royalty. Hospitality was an important period virtue, and
>it is an opportunity to expose people to period cooking.

and

>The policy I recommend is to keep a couple of places at high table
>open. At some point during the event, someone you don't know will do
>something that impresses you--fight beautifully even though he is
>relatively new, go to a lot of trouble to help other people, tell a
>moving period story, turn out to be a blacksmith who makes beautiful
>period cooking equipment, ...  . Invite him and his lady (or her and
>her lord) to join you at high table.

I like both of these suggestions. Leading by example is more courteous than
asking cooks to concentrate on making period food. The unexpected hospitality of
being seated at high table and conversing with the Prince and Princess is also
quite notable. I will note that I'd first check with the local head cook or
feast organizer about seating at the high table before I started adding more
folks. Here, the autocrat directs the seating at high table depending on which
Royalty will be there and whether the winner and consort of the tourney will be
at high table or some such thing. But if it were feasible, I'd certainly make
sure to have a space or two available.

Kerri
Cedrin Etainnighean, OL