SC - Period French Toast Recipes

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Wed Jan 19 23:40:53 PST 2000

Rosalyn MacGregor replied to my post about my Royalty lunch with:
> What about a roasted onion sallat? This is on page 79 of The Medieval
> Kitchen. I made it up (without the two optional spices) and served it next to
> roast beef. It was devoured. The sallat is to be served at room temperature,
> so you can make it in advance, and then just refrigerate it, or not, and pour
> into the nice bowl or platter for display.

Thank you. I think I will add this dish. What type of onions did you use?
The redaction in Medieval Kitchen calls for "red or other sweet onions".
Did those exist then? I know the real sweet ones, Valh<something> didn't.
How much olive oil did you use? I tend to be fairly heavy handed when I
put salad dressings on my own salads, but maybe that would not be good
for a group of folks?

It's yet another vinegar/pickled dish besides the compost (and the eggs, I
think) but that is probably quite likely for a medieval winter feast.

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net