SC - Oogy gingerbread problem

Par Leijonhufvud parlei at algonet.se
Thu Jan 20 05:18:34 PST 2000

Laura C. Minnick wrote:

> Lurking Girl wrote:
>
> > Tonight, I upped the voltage to 2 cups breadcrumbs.  STILL too oogy!
>
> First- what is the humidity level? Are your breadcrumbs really dry or
> still soft? They can be like sponges- they'll hold more damp than dry.

They're soft.  It was reasonably fresh bread that I munged in my Christmas
present (a Cuisinart--I'd never met a food processor before--it's so
COOL!)  Should they be dry, then, instead?

The actual air humidity is bone dry.  *koff hack*

> Second- are you boiling the syrup long enough? I don't have the recipe
> in front of me, but I seem to remember that you have to bail for a bit
> like fudge, to get it to 'set up'

I've never made fudge either. :*)  It boiled long enough to froth
at me for a time--I lost track of it while trying to put the Cuisinart
together.

> Third- did you check the file in the Florilegium? I am pretty sure that
> there wwas just these sorts of questions there on this recipe.

I didn't _see_ anything in there about that, though I was just doing
a quick visual grep, so I may have missed it.

Morning update: it's stiffer, but still incredibly sticky, and though
I can form it into a small ball, it loses shape under the slightest
pressure.  Including its own weight.  *sigh*

Vika