SC - Period French Toast Recipies

Robin Carroll-Mann harper at idt.net
Thu Jan 20 22:20:07 PST 2000

Elysant at aol.com wrote:

> Vika wrote:
>
> >  The glossary says that Sibbolds are Welsh onions, and doesn't give an
> >  entry for Rocket.
>
> The Welsh word for "shallots" is pronounced either "shoo-bwrns" or
> "shee-bwrns" depending where the speaker is from in Wales.  It
> sounds so close to "sibbolds" that I wonder if this is what the
> recipe is referring to maybe?

Well, my guess was "shibboleth". :-}

> Also I seem to recall that "Welsh Onions" are quite a different plant from
> shallots, and are not in fact Welsh at all. :-)

Aaaarrgh.  I can't even figure out everyone's names for the common root
vegetables; don't bring Allium spp. into it!

Vika
which brings up major frowning: my first planting of bulbs EVER, this fall,
and the damn squirrels seem to have got every last one.  Including the
moly.  Which is in the Allium genus.  So this is relevant.  Really.
I'm up past my bedtime...