SC - Okay, my life just got interesting...

cclark@vicon.net cclark at vicon.net
Fri Jan 21 22:51:41 PST 2000

> Does the term 'Sweet Spanish Onion' ring a bell? These were the
> standard in  sweet onions before the yuppie fascination with Vidallias.
BTW, >the seed catalogs list a variety of Vidallia that was selected
specifically
> for northern gardens this year.  I suspect the 'sulfur' story is a
> fabrication of the local producers of Vidallias while they still had a
monopoly on them.
> With the introduction of the new northern variety, we are thankfully
> freed from these overpriced vegetables in the market place should we
> choose to grow them. ;-) Personally, I try to get the Sweet Spanish
ones. They have far more  depth of flavor than Vidallias.

> Ras

Actually, I got the sulphur story from "Good Eats" (a FoodTV show) where
the host, one Alton Brown (who was formerly a science teacher? or
something).  His show regularly employs a Food Archeologist (a title I
still want) and they usually give quite a bit of food science before they
get down to cooking.
	As far as the non-Vidalia Vidalias, I am not surprised that they are
expensive in Pennsylvania, any more than I am suprised at the cost of a
6-pack of Coke when I'm at Pennsic ($3.00 or more!  outrageous!)  But, I
have had onions from areas purported to be 'just as sweet as Vidalias'
and have yet to find one that really was.  A Vidalia is the only onion I
have ever even considered eating like a whole apple, they really are
sweet enough to just chomp on.  Roasted in foil with a bit of butter,
they are practically a desert.  (and a standard here during the
relatively short time they are available, usually during summer BBQ
weather).  And yes, I know they got popularized in a  yuppie-like-trend,
but they have been long-revered here, hung up in strings of old panty
hose in dark areas of the house.  (Take a hosiery leg, put in an onion,
tie a knot, put in another onion, tie another knot - then just cut off
how ever many you wish to use.  Vidalias are FULL of water, and spoil
quickly, so hanging them this way keeps them for as long as possible.)  I
actually find many salad dressings made with them to be too sweet, but
they make wonderful relishes.
	Ah, only about 5 months or so before Vidalia season rolls around
again...
Christianna