SC - Vidalia Onions

Terri Spencer taracook at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 24 15:49:03 PST 2000

At 1:19 AM +0100 1/24/00, Thomas Gloning wrote:

>Looking for the recipe, the situation becomes somewhat complicated. Up
>to now, the recipe is published only in an edition of the Arabic text
>and a Spanish translation by Ambrosio Huici Miranda. Grewe had much to
>critizise about the Huici Miranda edition:

So did Charles Perry, whose English translation is included in volume
II of my collection. The recipes for sinhaji are:

Royal Sanhâji

Take a large, deep tajine [clay casserole with a lid] and put some
red beef in it, cut up without fat, from the leg, the shoulder, and
the hip of the cow. Add a very large quantity of oil, vinegar, a
little murri naqî', pepper, saffron, cumin, and garlic. Cook it until
it's half done, and then add some red sheep's meat and cook. Then add
to this cleaned chickens, cut into pieces; partridges, young pigeons
or wild doves, and other small birds, mirkâs and meatballs. Sprinkle
it with split almonds, and salt it to taste. Cover it with a lot of
oil, put it in the oven, and leave in until it is done, and take it
out. This is simple sanhâji, used by the renowned; as for the common
people, their sanhâji will be dealt with in its own proper time, God
willing.

Sanhâji

Take a large deep tinjir [brass or copper boiling kettle,
specifically used for making confections such as khabîs and
fâlûdhaj], put in three parts sharp vinegar and one part murri naqî'
and the required amounts of pepper, [p. 51, verso] caraway, cumin and
saffron; put on a moderate coal fire and have prepared beforehand
what is needed, such as beef cut in small pieces, and when it has
boiled one or two times, put in the same amount of ewe meat; then
some cut up hens, cut up partridges and squabs of domestic and stock
doves cut up in the same way and whatever birds you can get and add
some soaked peeled garbanzos, peeled chopped almonds and chestnuts
peeled of their skins, garlic and citron leaves; cover with a lot of
oil and when it is almost done, add whatever you have of vegetables
cooked separately and finish cooking them, such as turnips, carrots,
eggplants, gourds, "eyes" of cabbage without their leaves and heads
of lettuce without the outer leaves; use whatever vegetables are
available, according to the season and the present time. Cook in a
separate pot with salt, their spices and onion until done; pour off
the water and then add to the aforementioned meats in the said tajine
and you need to have meatballs and mirkâs made only from these
ingredients, because if not they will be an excessive and disapproved
mixture. It is the property of this dish to be good for all states
and temperaments, for it unites all the meats and the classes of
vegetable and because you put in it vinegar and murri naqî', spices
and so on.

David/Cariadoc
http://www.best.com/~ddfr/