SC - 16th century recipes (long list)

Robin Carroll-Mann harper at idt.net
Tue Jan 25 08:00:02 PST 2000

> > but I wouldn't put it past the
> >  government to change it's mind in the 20 some odd years since that memory.
>
> As to home distilling, they did... during the Reagan years. The Carter
> administration opened up home distilling for alternative fuel.

> The two hundred gallons you're thinking of are mead, beer or wine, as in
> fermented beverages. While the BATF won't go out of their way to find you if
> you ARE distilling, it's usually not advisable. For reference ... the one
> case I know of where they did intervene it was an individual who was
> distilling and selling at events. They made a polite visit and essentially
> said "We know you're doing it, at the moment we can't figure out HOW you're
> doing it ... but if you keep doing it we will." He took the hint.

Correct in several particulars.
The still plans available from the Govt are of two varieties:
Water purification and Fuel production

Water may be distilled at will.
Fuesl alcohol may be distilled under special circumstances BUT the product
must be rigourously accounted for, and "denatured" with an approved chemical
to render it unfit for drinking.
No "Home Distillilation" of potable alcohol of any sort is permitted in the USA.
Period.
Not even "Freeze separation".
However, the Recipe in Digby _MIGHT_ be repoducable by mixing the herbes in
BRANDY filtering that off.

here is a notion that I just thought of:
Illegal Distillation is roughly defined as _intensifying_ the alcoholic content of a
beverage without license or with taxes owing.
It is unknown to me if it is illegal to re-distill a beverage which has already
been distilled, and all Taxes paid.  Perhaps that should be asked of the BATF?.
If the spiced brandy is then distilled, the result might be legal and a close
approximation of the recipe

> I think there is a brewing list for this btw.... so I apologize for anybody's
> bandwidth being wasted.
There is a list which is basicall designed around the premise of legally finding
a way to replicate or duplicate period distilled beverages.
   sca-dist2 at onelist.com

brandu