SC - Fwd: [SCA-HUMOR] recipes

DianaFiona@aol.com DianaFiona at aol.com
Tue Jan 25 22:19:38 PST 2000

And it came to pass on 25 Jan 00,, that david friedman wrote:
> This sounds a lot like the _Taciunum Sanitatas_, which is a Latin
> version of an Arabic original. We have two modern editions in
> translation with illustrations, _A Medieval Health Handbook_ and _The Four
> Seasons of the House of Cerrutti_ (that's by memory, so I may not have
> them exactly right.) This book gives, for each food or activity, its
> nature by the theory of the humors, its benefits, its risks, and how to
> neutralize the risks.
>
> Elizabeth/Betty Cook

I have heard of the _Taciunum Sanitatas_, though I haven't read it.  Your
description of it matches the _Banquete de Nobles Caballeros_ quite
well.  I would imagine that the two books are very similar.  I looked up
several foods in Platina and the _Banquete_, and found they agreed on
the basic properties -- not surprising, since both are based on the
writings of classical authorities like Galen.

However, Lobera de Avila discusses at least one item that Platina does
not... a foreign beverage recently popularized in Spain -- beer.  (He
doesn't think much of it.)

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Settmour Swamp, East (NJ)
mka Robin Carroll-Mann