SC - Eternal soup pots

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Tue Jan 25 23:59:24 PST 2000

In a message dated 1/25/00 11:15:50 PM Eastern Standard Time, LrdRas at aol.com
writes:

<<
 Gathering your petals and drying them when they are in season would
eliminate
 the need to be prepared in small quantities. This would allow you to use
them
 as the 'need' arose. >>>

    True enough, in general, but I don't think my bushes would produce enough
even with drying all I could get of the entire season's petals. And really,
while I would use dried petals if I wanted to do the dish badly enough, I
really think it would be a lot better with fresh ones.......... *shrug*
Perhaps not--I'll have to try it both ways sometime and see! :-)

>>>Barring that, serving dishes in season would allow the
 use of almost every recipe. It's simply a matter of choosing recipes that
 have ingredients that would be available at the time they are to be used,
 preparing ahead of time, and using your harvest wisely.

 Ras >>
    There's certainly much merit in that point, but I have really been
thinking more in terms of dishes that are difficult to do in large quantity,
either due to the expense (or scarcity, as in fresh rose petals) of the
ingredients or the difficulty or time requirements of the preparation. Of
course, I can't think of examples off the top of my head when I need them!
;-) But I know I have looked at a number of recipes and thought that, though
they sounded great, they would be impractical to cook in large quantity for
one or another of the above reasons--at least in our site's kitchen and our
event's circumstances.............. There are some dishes, for instance, that
call for herbs I can't buy, especially fresh. I could grow enough to do a
large bowl of a given recipe, but not enough for the whole hall to eat a
normal portion of. That's more the kind of circumstance I had in mind.

            Ldy Diana