SC - Stefan's files for February

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Wed Jan 26 21:51:31 PST 2000

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain commented:
> However, Lobera de Avila discusses at least one item that Platina does
> not... a foreign beverage recently popularized in Spain -- beer.  (He
> doesn't think much of it.)

Interesting. Do we know whether he is using the term "beer" to refer to
all fermented beverages made from grain or perhaps only those that include
hops? It seems unusual to me that at this late date, some kind of made from
grain beverage wasn't already being drunk in Spain.

I can see where wine might have been more common than beer/ale, even for
the lower classes, in Spain than say in England but to be little known?

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net