SC -Translations of Spanish Foods

Robin Carroll-Mann harper at idt.net
Thu Jan 27 05:23:27 PST 2000

LrdRas at aol.com wrote:

> For example, the seafood should be, IMO, chopped very fine or mashed in a
> mortar. Liquefying it is a big stretch and would produce a far different
> texture than they were capable of producing at the time that this was
> originally written.

Probably true, but ultimately I'm not sure how much real difference it
will make. The original says to "bray it small", I believe, which
basically means to mash or puree, depending on how small you want it.
Reducing it to baby food or even a healthy shake isn't my idea of a good
time, but this book was written before the advent of the domestic
cuisinart and before the return of the mortar as a fashionable kitchen
gadget. It may be that it's understood that blender users have a bit of
control with pulse settings, just as they might with a food processor
today, but a finer puree may simply reflect the tastes of the year this
book was written (1973?).  In the end it gets thickened pretty
dramatically anyway.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy