SC - Eternal soup pots

Alderton, Philippa phlip at morganco.net
Thu Jan 27 15:45:44 PST 2000

In a message dated 1/27/00 11:59:48 AM Eastern Standard Time,
JGedney at dictaphone.com writes:

<< Ras, citation please?

 Brandu >>

You've got to be kidding? (I hope! :-0) The Arabs and Berbers (e.g., Moors)
occupied more or less of the area we now know of as Spain for 6 centuries.
This is common historical knowledge. We also have to be careful to not lump
an entire area into modern geographical boundaries. The Kingdom of Castille
was a separate entity from Moorish occupied territory.

Am I making sense here? I guess what I am trying to say is that the area we
now refer to as Spain was in large part occupied by the Moors. That area can
be best described as 'al-Andalus' (sp?). Andalus and Castille were separate
entities. The Moorish influence is very evident in it's influence on the
Spanish language and certain aspects of the architecture. Christians were,
more or less, allowed to freely practice their religion but tolerance did not
excuse them from obeying the law. The law was based on al-Islam. exceptions
regarding the use of communion wine may have been in place but such focused
exceptions don't necessarily translate into the general man in the street
running willy nilly from tavern to the next. Nor does it presuppose the
existence of such taverns.

Anyway, my comments regarding beer referred to Andalus and not the Kingdom of
Castille which for much of the period in question was a minor player in the
scheme of things. Beer may have been introduced into Castille but if does not
follow that it's use spread into Andalus while the Moors were in control of
that territory.