SC - 16th Century recipes a few questions. . .

Varju@aol.com Varju at aol.com
Sun Jan 30 09:50:51 PST 2000

- ------=_NextPart_000_0366_01BF6B1B.9B5CC320

I just want to clarify the history here.  The Reconquista was completed =
in 1492 by Isabella and Ferdinand.  Carlos V was the son of Juana la =
Loca and thus the grandson of Isabella and Ferdinand.  So the =
introduction of beer by Carlos V was a couple of generations after the =
end of the Reconquista.  Another poster has already pointed out that =
Carlos was not raised in Spain and so brought the tastes/customs of the =
other parts of the Holy Roman Empire.  I think some Spaniards would be =
disturbed to see this discussion be cast into an Al-Andalus vs. Castilla =
debate.   Spain is more than Castilla and Andalucia.  What about =
Cataluna, the Basque country and Galicia?  (Mmm, I still remember those =
lovely Rioja red wines and the to-die-for Galician seafood soup!)

                                                                         =
   In service,

                                                                         =
   Alessandra di Firenze
                                                                         =
   Barony of Ponte Alto   =20
                                                                         =
 =20

- ------=_NextPart_000_0366_01BF6B1B.9B5CC320

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV>I just want to clarify the history here.  The Reconquista was=20
completed in 1492 by Isabella and Ferdinand.  Carlos V was the son =
of Juana=20
la Loca and thus the grandson of Isabella and Ferdinand.  So the=20
introduction of beer by Carlos V was a couple of generations after the =
end of=20
the Reconquista.  Another poster has already pointed out that =
Carlos was=20
not raised in Spain and so brought the tastes/customs of the other parts =
of the=20
Holy Roman Empire.  I think some Spaniards would be disturbed to =
see this=20
discussion be cast into an Al-Andalus vs. Castilla debate.   =
Spain is=20
more than Castilla and Andalucia.  What about Cataluna, the Basque =
country=20
and Galicia?  (Mmm, I still remember those lovely Rioja red wines =
and the=20
to-die-for Galician seafood soup!)</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>            =