SC - A feast for Mistress Elfrida of Greenwalls

Deborah J. Schumacher chicagojo at uswest.net
Sun Jan 30 18:22:01 PST 2000

Varju at aol.com wrote:

> 1. In recipe number 89, To make a strawberry tart, the recipe says "Next let
> it bake a short while, pour Malavosia over it and let it bake a while, then
> it is ready. "  What is Malavosia?

A sweet wine along the lines of a tawny port or sherry. A.k.a. Malmsey,
as in, "a butt of", reputed final bath and beverage of George, Duke of Clarence.

> 2.  In recipe number 186, To make an herb tart, it calles for Parmesan
> cheese.  I know that the "cheese" debate has occured on the list before, but
> for the life of me I cannot remember if  Parmesian was listed as one of the
> period cheeses.  Is Parmesan cheese period?

Well, if it appears in a period recipe, that's a pretty fair
indicator...but yes, Parmesan cheese in its current form appears to be
very old indeed. Unlike some other cheeses, Parmesan appears to have
pretty much the same characteristics it had in period.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com