SC - Eternal soup pots

Bonne of Traquair oftraquair at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 31 19:06:48 PST 2000

- --- "Decker, Terry D." <TerryD at Health.State.OK.US>
wrote:
> > At 08:52 AM 1/31/00 -0600, you wrote:

> As for the Emperors, Augsburg didn't worry much
> about them, they bought
> them.  The Emperor at this time was Carlos V (Carlos
> I of Spain).  A
> financial coalition of the Fuggers, Hochstetters and
> Welsers put up the
> money to bribe the electors to put Carlos on the
> throne.  For their part in
> this, the Welsers received a Venezuela and Colombia
> as a herditary fief in
> 1528, after Carlos captured Rome and the Pope.  The
> monopoly was revoked in
> 1546, a hard blow but not completely destructive.
>
> Bear

Bear,

May I ask where you found this information?  This does
not entirely jibe with what I have read.  From what I
have read, it was the Ravenburg Company who bought the
rights to exploit Venezuela from Spain.  Philipp von
Hütton was the last German captain general for
Venezuela.  In 1546, he and all his company were
killed by the Spanish when the Spanish decided to
renege on their arrangement.  My persona went with von
Hütton to Venezuela.

Huette