SC - green onions and stuffed eggs questions

Anne-Marie Rousseau acrouss at gte.net
Mon Jan 31 22:44:33 PST 2000

I am using Anne-Marie's redaction for one of my dishes this coming weekend.
> 1. Eggs farced [la Varenne #1 p294]
> Take sorrell, alone if you will, or with other herbs, wash and swing them,
> then mince them very small, and put between two dishes with fresh butter,
> or passe them in the panne; after they are passed, soak and season them;
> after your farce is sod, take some hard eggs, cut them into halfs, a
> crosse, or in length, and take out the yolks, and mince them with your
> farce, and after all is well mixed, stew them over the fire, and put to it
> a little nutmeg, and serve garnished with the whites of your eggs which you
> may make brown in the pan with brown butter.
>
> Our version:
> 2T butter
> 1 T dill, minced
> 6 hardboiled eggs
> 2 green onions, minced
> 1 pinch salt
> 1 tsp fresh savory, minced
> 1 tsp fresh sorrell, minced
> 1 T balsamic vinegar
> pinch nutmeg
>
> Cut eggs in half longwise, and remove yolk. Sautee savory, sorell, green
> onion and dill in 1 T of the butter. Add the vinegar, salt, nutmeg and rest
> of the butter. Mix the egg yolks with the sauteed herb stuff, and stir over
> low heat till smooth and thick. Fill the egg white halves and serve. If you
> wish, you may fry the egg white halves in brown butter before filling, but
> we found that this makes them rubbery.
> Makes 12 filled egg halves, with some leftover stuffing goop. Oh darn.

I have seen some recipes that call for only the white portion of green
onions. When just the green onions are mention as here, does this mean
the whole onion, green leaves and white bulb?

The directions say to add the egg yolks and stir until smooth. Mine still
has little lumps of egg yolk. Is this normal? If not, what should I do next
time?

Anne-Marie, you serve these as stuffed-eggs. the phrase in the original
message "and serve garnished with the whites of your eggs" makes me think
more of chopping the whites up and sprinkling them on the yolk mixture.
Is there a particular reason you chose to do these as stuffed eggs? This
is what I am planning on doing since it then becomes the finger food I
am wanting, but I'm curious.

Lastly folks, how would you dice these greens? I mainly used kitchen shears
to cut them into tiny pieces. I tried to use my chopper jar, but that didn't
work all that well as it seemed to mush them more than chop them. Lots of
moisture.

Perhaps the food processor which I will be getting in the near future with
money my mother gifted me with for this purpose will work for this? I am
finding the chopping and dicing of vegetables for all these dishes to be
pretty tedious.
- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net