SC - chicken recipe

Karen O kareno at lewistown.net
Wed Jan 12 16:02:24 PST 2000

I "lost" the recipe that I was given on this list.  referred to it as period
Chicken McNuggets >Begga Elisabeth

    From * 2 15th Century Cookery Books*  the recipe is called: Viaunde of
Cypres Ryalle
this particular redaction is from *Traveling Dysshes* by Siobhan Medhbh
O'Roarke

Cooked chicken: parts/peices
1 cup white wine
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup honey
1/2 tsp each: cloves, mace & ginger
1/4 cup ground almonds
1/2 cup currants

    Boil the wine and sugar together for 10 minutes or until it thickens and
clings to a spoon.  Add honey spices & currants and cook for another 5
minutes.
    Arrange the chicken in your serving dish, Pour the hot syrup over the
chicken.
Chill well, serve cold.

NOTE:  I use whole cloves, and fresh grated ginger, and tend to use a
heavier hand with the spices (maybe 1 tsp each)

Caointiarn  (still looking for documentation on those jam tart thingys that
may have been called "maids of honor".