SC - Coronation feast

Christina Nevin cnevin at caci.co.uk
Thu Jan 13 07:48:58 PST 2000

Saluti everyone

To clear a few points - the site hasn't been hired yet, as my friend
Rhieinwen, the autocrat, has had about as much notice as I have (yes, Wales
has a small pre-incipient shire now - hoorah).  Unfortunately Caerphilly and
Chepstow and the other castle (that-i-never-remember-the-name-of) we use are
all booked up. So I don't know the kitchen facilities yet. I've already
started looking around for items for a camp kitchen. Rhieinwen has a large
kitchen with 2 ovens, but unfortunately I've run out of holiday time so
can't take any time off until April (yes, I know, this just gets worse and
worse!).

I will be getting a lift from one of the Thamesreach shire members, but I
intend to farm this one out a lot more than usual, so not only myself will
be transporting the food there.

> Jehanne has very kindly offered to send me a copy of the Anglo-Norman
> collections. Many thanks for the the 'shared plate', subtlety and other
> ideas so far. I do a 'menu' with quotes or original recipes so these are
> all useful. I usually do three course feasts, but I think for this I  may
> just do two, with a small Boute-Hors at the end.

	Bonne wrote:
	I was a little confused as I thought she was talking in persona
about the
	Wales and London stuff.  Then I remembered: Drachenwald.

<gg> no, I'm not that far gone!

	Adamantius wrote:
	Appropriate dishes for the period (if we can believe Alexander
Neckham)
	might include
	hens stewed in cumin sauce (usually almond-milk based)
	<snip>fried rissoles filled with dried fruit, mixed fruit and
possibly nuts
	any of several rice dishes
	possibly lamb or veal roast or boiled with a sauce
	ditto rabbits or possibly in "gravy"

I like the sound of the hens in cumin and the rissoles. What type of rice
dishes? Could you please post the recipes? I might talk to some friends down
south and see if I can get some rabbits (usually I can only get the
expensive frozen Chinese imported bunnies in London - ridiculous!). Any
ideas how many a normal bunny would feed as a mid-course dish?  Phlip?

Ciao,
Lucretzia

Lady Lucrezia-Isabella di Freccia   |  mka Tina Nevin
Thamesreach Shire, The Isles, Drachenwald | London, UK
thorngrove at geocities.com | http://www.geocities.com/~thorngrove
"There is no doubt that great leaders prefer hard drinkers to good
versifiers" - Aretino, 1536