SC - F.T., rosewater and mush

Christine A Seelye-King mermayde at juno.com
Mon Jan 17 10:20:48 PST 2000

Brighid wrote:
> Congratulations on your well-deserved success.  And thank you for
> posting the documentation.  Very interesting.  I read it,
> coincidently,  while eating French toast for breakfast -- a dietetic
version >with  sugar- free syrup, and surely not as yummy as yours.  But
perhaps I >will try  adding a touch of rosewater and/or poudre douce to
mine... >hmmm...
	Do yourself a favor and steep the saffron in the rosewater.  The night I
did it, I set the rosewater in a small bowl on the counter and put the
saffron in it to steep.  I was bustling around, getting ready for the
event, and when I walked back into the kitchen, the aroma just enveloped
me , made me stop and say "WOW".  No calories there, but with that flavor
combination, there isn't much need for additional sweet.  At that point,
a dash or two of a sugar free sweetener should do it.  (I would not do
syrup, especially if it is artificial maple flavor).

> In the recipe for Paynfoundew, you modernized the phrase "frye it in
> grece other in oyle" as "fry it in grease or other oil".  In the
> glossary to _Curye on Inglysch_ "other" is defined as the conjunction
"or".  >So perhaps "fry it in grease or oil" would be a slightly better
wording?
	Hmm.  It never occured to me to check the glossary for "other".  Still
seems to say the same thing, though, but I will probably change it.  And
perhaps go through the glossary more carefully.  However, I have
questions about the glossary's interpretation of something else in that
same recipe, about the red wine and raisin sauce.  I went with the book's
interpretation (that the wine and raisins were ground) because it suited
my purposes better, but still think it could be interpreted as putting
the bread in the wine with raisins and then grinding it, making a mush.
I could do another 5 dishes with various mush recipes, but somehow it
doesn't have the same romance as French Toast.  Besides which, as you
mentioned, we are still eating French Toast today, and mush doesn't make
it to as many tables.

> And about my appendix...  The story about the Cardinal is my
> paraphrase of the original Spanish.  I believe that it's a fairly
> accurate paraphrase, but you might want to make it clear that the story
as it
> appears there is not a direct translation of the text.

	I will so note.  Thanks again,
	Christianna