SC - Christianna's rebuttal

Christine A Seelye-King mermayde at juno.com
Tue Jan 18 11:00:20 PST 2000

> > Ah, sorry.  I am, truly, a Meridian, been here all of my  21 years.

> 21 years? Good heavens! Who'd a' thunk it?

	My 21 *SCA* years, you goon ;)

> >         Christianna
> >         who *has* learned to love fresh black-eyed peas, real
> >	      b-b-q,  boiled peanuts, mint juleps, Co-Cola, and cornbread.

> I assume the cornbread is white and sans sugar (I'm gonna get flak for
> even mentioning this, I'm sure, but she _did_ say she'd been born a
> Y...I mean in the North) and your proper pronunciation of Dixie
> Nectar is duly noted.

	Here in the home of said beverage, we prefer to think of it as
	South Downs Dark Ale (a name which came to us from Caid, as a matter 	of
fact)
	And no, I mean the sweet yellow stuff, but as I sit here trying to
visualize the various 'country cookin' places I've been in down here,
every pan of cornbread I've ever seen has been the same, the only white
cornbread I've ever seen I made myself with white cornmeal I had hanging
around.

> My point is only that a number of the foods you mention are simply
> American. I wonder, though, if I've been failing to distinguish
> between urban and rural South?
>
> Adamantius, feeling sensitive about his own regional cuisine

Well, I tell you, there are vast differences between Atlanta and the rest
of Georgia (and all of Alabama ;), defining Atlanta regional cuisine
would have to include a wide variety of  Hispanic, every variety of
Asian, Carribean, African, South American, Black, plantation cooking,
white trash cooking, fast food, fern bars, roadkill, wings and Hooters,
Chili Cookoffs, European fine dining, hot young American Chefs, etc, etc,
etc.  That article I posted some time back about the Racoon was from the
Atlanta Journal-Constitution, but it was about the barrier islands off
the coast, 4-6 hours away from here.  However, I remember a Designing
Women episode from several years back where all of the Christmas dinner
had been stolen along with their presents, and all that was left was
Charlene's bbq'd 'coon.  Of course, her character was from Tennessee or
Missouri or somewhere in the Ozarks, but still *The Country* (which can
be as close as 30 minutes outside the city, in the right direction).

	Something else I have never aquired a taste for is hot spices.  My lord
loves them, and has even earned the name "Deadtongue", but my family is
from the Midwest, where we bake, broil, and boil everything.  Black
pepper is as hot as we ever got.  I have broadened my flavoring horizons
immensely, but have never gotten the hang of eating food that hurts me.
Go figure.   Hot peppers have become quite the designer food of the
'90's, but they were much more prevalent in the South before they became
fab.

	Ah, well, I don't want to start up the Southern Food thread again, we
have hashed and re-hashed grits way too many times.  As far as greens
being a dish from Philly, we can segue this nicely back into medieval
cooking by pointing out that boiled greens were food for the masses in
period.  I made a lovely porrey of greens from Maggie Black's "A Medieval
Cookbook" some years back, IIRC it contained leeks and onions and garlic,
with saffron to color it a rather amazing shade of chartreuse, which I
served as a condiment for roasted lamb.  I suspected that serving a dish
of greens would not have been as well perceived, but the smaller dish of
porrey as an accompaniment to meat went over very well.
	(how's that for bringing us back on topic? ;)
	Christianna