SC - Spanish food/health manual

Robin Carroll-Mann harper at idt.net
Thu Jan 20 22:20:07 PST 2000

I just got in an intersting book via ILL.  It's a modern reprint of a 16th
century Spanish food/health manual.  (In Spanish -- it hasn't been
translated that I know of.)

The book is "Banquete de Nobles Caballeros" ("Banquet of Noble
Gentlemen") by Luis Lobera de Avila, who was physician to the Spanish
Emperor Carlos V.  It was written in 1530.  I would compare it to Platina
minus the recipes.  The book contains many 1-2 page chapters, each
on a different type of food, with comments on how it affects the
humours, and what Galen and Avicenna and other authorities have to
say about it.  There are also some chapters on the scheduling and
sequence of meals, as well as comments on the health benefits and
risks of such activities as baths, sex, and midday naps.

The bibiographic information:

Lobera de Avila, Luis, "Banquete de Nobles Caballeros", San Sebastián
: R & B Ediciones, 1996.  ISBN 8488947593

There's also a 1952 edition, published in Madrid.

I don't know how many libraries carry it; I'm in New Jersey, and the ILL
copy I received was from the Library of Congress.

I haven't had a chance to do more than skim the book.  A few tidbits of
information:

Raw apples cause flatulence and indigestion.  These problems can be
avoided by eating apples that have been preserved with sugar, or
roasted and served with sugar or anise.

Eating radishes will protect against the venom of a scorpion, if one is
stung that same day.  (I'm in the wrong kingdom to test this.  Any
Ansteorrans out there who'd like to conduct some research?)

Bread is more nutritious and easier to digest when made from flour
which has not had the bran removed out of it.

Roasted chestnuts are healthier than raw.  Those of choleric
temperament should eat them with sugar; those who are phlegmatic,
with honey.

Beef (especially from older cattle) should be eaten infrequently, in small
quantities, and with mustard sauce to counteract its melancholic
humours.

I wouldn't call it an essential title in the field, but it's an intriquing book
for those interested in period Spanish cuisine.

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Settmour Swamp, East (NJ)
mka Robin Carroll-Mann
harper at idt.net