SC - Vidalia Onions

Terri Spencer taracook at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 24 15:49:03 PST 2000

Christine A Seelye-King <mermayde at juno.com> wrote:

> I have had onions from areas purported to be 'just as sweet as
> Vidalias' and have yet to find one that really was.

I agree.  I've had Peru and Texas "Sweets", but they just aren't the
same.

> but they have been long-revered here, hung up in strings of old panty
> hose in dark areas of the house.  (Take a hosiery leg, put in an
> onion, tie a knot, put in another onion, tie another knot - then just

> cut off how ever many you wish to use.  Vidalias are FULL of water,
> and spoil quickly, so hanging them this way keeps them for as long as
> possible.)

YMMV - I tried this in South Florida and ended up with a closet full of
fruit flies.  C'est la vie in the sub-tropics.  Luckily, Del Monte has
started distributing them and I was able to find Vidalias' at Publix
through November of last year. Still have a few left.

> Ah, only about 5 months or so before Vidalia season rolls around
again...

Kroger already has the "young" Vidalias' out - the ones that look like
leeks.  One of the (few) advantages to living in Georgia.

Tara
Coulda done without the ice storm yesterday, but the power's back on
and it snowed today!