SC - 16th Century Recipes

Mary Morman memorman at oldcolo.com
Tue Jan 25 06:27:01 PST 2000

On Sun, 23 Jan 2000 Aldyth at aol.com wrote:

> Greetings all.  Does anyone have ideas of "late" period sources for recipes?
> Our Gracious Queen would like 16th century recipes at her A&S.  It does not
> appear to be an issue as to the type of cuisine, or location, just 16th
> century.  Platina and Apicius are just a little early...

The later the period, the more material there is.  - thus plenty of
sources for late 16th and early 1th centruy.

Elinor Fettiplace begins with 16th century, and alot of Digbie, although
published later, is clearly Elizabethan..  There are lots of little how to
books like the Good Huswife's Jewel and Delights for Ladies and even the
new Sarah Longe book in Foolses and Fricasses if you are looking for
something that hasn't been worked with before.

16th century lets you take advantage of what Cariadoc and Jaelle call
"NOuvelle Cuisine" - the enormous change in cooking methods, ingredients,
and taste that marks the move from medieval to late Renaissance cooking.

I have a dozen or so sources for you as do Arwen in Caerthe and Tatiana in
Dragonsspine.  Mail me off line if you would line to try to get together
and borrow some.

Elaina