SC - Spanish beer

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Wed Jan 26 23:02:27 PST 2000

LrdRas at aol.com wrote:

> Considering that Spain was an Islamic nation until 1492 CE, I don't find this
> unusual at all. Al-Islam forbids the consumption of alcoholic beverages.

Spain and Islam had a long and tortuous relationship, but it was not
completely Islamic until 1491 and then *BANG*! 1492 and Christianity
happens! What is called the 'Reconquista' took many years and moved
slowly, with a great deal of back-and-forth-ing. AND the Mozarabic folk
were notoriously lax on some issues, such as alcohol consumption... so
someone in Toledo in say c.1090, was Christian and likely enjoying local
wines. A few miles south they were likely Muslim and well... who knows
what they drank in their homes...

It's never black and white.

'Lainie