SC - Spanish beer

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Fri Jan 28 09:26:02 PST 2000

"Decker, Terry D." wrote:

> There are also Islamic sectarian differences about the consumption of
> alcohol.  The specific prohibition is against the fruit of the grape.  Most
> sects apply a general prohibition against all alcoholic beverages, but there
> are some which follow the prohibition precisely and only deny beverages made
> from grapes.

I vaguely recall a cute bit in "The Thirteenth Warrior" illustrating
this, although how accurate it is I couldn't say. For the umpteenth time
the main character is offered some mead, and for the umpteenth time he
refuses, saying the Law of the Prophet forbids him to drink of the
fermented fruit of the grape. Finally somebody lets on that mead is made
from fermented _honey_: the reaction is more or less "Woo-hoo!!!"

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com