SC - Request for inspiration

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sat Jan 29 23:36:07 PST 2000

> Maggie MacDonald wrote:
> > The autocrat (ok, steward) for an event in mid-June has asked for a feast
> > that will feature 'plundered foods' from coastal countries.
> <snip>
> > A little bit of
> > seafood, but what kind? (I doubt our budget will stretch for oysters on the
> > half shell or even shrimp.)

And Adamantius replied:
> There are numerous medieval European mussel dishes, and I should mention
> that both herring and cod have had wars fought over their fishery
> rights. Does that count as plundering?

For some period recipe for mussels and other non-fish seafood, check
this
file in the FOOD section of the Florilegium:
seafood-msg       (37K) 12/17/99    Medieval non-fish seafood. Recipes.

Since herring and cod were most often eaten salted or smoked, you might
want to take a look at this file:
stockfish-msg     (72K)  8/30/99    Period preserved fish. Dried, smoked
and
                                       salted fish. Recipes.

Most of the reviews I've seen of bought haggis were not very appreciative
of them. You can make your own. See this file:
haggis-msg        (79K) 10/ 6/99    Scottish haggis recipes. comments on haggis.
- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net