SC - Recipes: King Arthur's Tea

Elysant at aol.com Elysant at aol.com
Sat Jan 1 06:05:26 PST 2000

- -Poster:<Elysant at aol.com>

Lady Ariann,

Thank you for all the work you've done in collecting and posting the Welsh
recipes.  I've been looking forward to seeing them and will enjoy trying them
all out.

I see that some of the sources for your recipes are from North Wales, as well
as some from the South - where I'm from.  It is extremely fascinating to me
to see the variations in the traditional recipes from region to region and
how they either have different ingredients, or are much the same in the
different parts of the country.
Hearing the customs that go along with them is interesting also, especially
when it's a new "tidbit" of information. :-)

In our part of the country we also make pancakes (which we call Ffrois rather
than Crempog) on Shrove Tuesday, (and other days too) but instead of
spreading them with butter and cutting them up into quarters, which I know
the books state is the "old way," we sprinkle them with lemon juice and sugar
and roll them up to serve them.

Incidentally, another local tradition we have is to add a teaspoon or so of
newly fallen snow into the batter to make the pancakes lighter.  I wonder if
there are any other recipes that use snow as an ingredient...

Thanks again for the recipes :-)

Elysant