SC - Looking for Stollen

James Gilly / Alasdair mac Iain alasdair.maciain at snet.net
Sun Jan 2 10:47:15 PST 2000

This was posted to the Merry Rose.  Can anyone help here?

>Date: Sat, 01 Jan 2000 15:57:13 -0500
>From: "Vernon L. Willet, Jr." <willets at bellatlantic.net>
>To: atlantia at atlantia.sca.org
>Subject: Looking for Stollen
>
>Unto the Esteemed Cooks of the Merry Rose and to Those Whose Interest
>Runs To Research, does Werhener von Ingolstadt Send Greetings.
>
>Dear Friends, I have just spent the last four hours in a fruitless
>search of the Web; searching for documentation for German Stollen, or
>Sweet Bread.  I have tracked it as far as Dresden in the fourteenth
>century, but, unfortunately, the reference here is at least a tertiary
>source and does not tell me where he got the information.  Thus dost the
>trail grow cold.  Does anyone know where I can get a documented recipe
>for Stollen in period?  Preferably translated to English or Latin?  I
>await patiently, humming softly.  Many thanks.  Werhener
>
>Barkeep, if you please, a round on me.  Waes Hael

Tighearn Alasdair mac Iain of Elderslie
Dun an Leomhain Bhig
Canton of Dragon's Aerie  [southeastern CT]
Barony Beyond the Mountain  [northern & southeastern CT]
East Kingdom
Argent, a chevron cotised azure surmounted by a sword and
in chief two mullets sable