SC - camp ovens

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sun Jan 9 14:35:42 PST 2000

Going through some unread digests back in September I came across a message
from Bear who commented:

> I've baked both pies and cakes in a Dutch oven and it is my experience that
> raising the pan slightly off the bottom reduces burning.  I used a small
> grill for that purpose, but I expect a few small stones might prove equally
> effective.

And I just wanted to confirm this. Back in the Boy Scouts I cooked biscuits
and such in Dutch ovens. We usually placed three small stones in the oven
and then put one of our regular alluminum eating plates on top of these
and then the food to be baked.

However, the first time we tried this we didn't know the importance of
leaving an air gap between the bottom of the Dutch oven and the food. We
were cooking fruit turnovers. It was several days later at home when
they finally got the last of the burned on bottom crust out. It took
a cold chisel and a hammer to do it.
- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net