SC - OOP? Question what is a Tagine?

Daniel Phelps phelpsd at gate.net
Mon Jan 10 14:42:26 PST 2000

My copy of "The International Cook's Catalogue" has a entry on Tajines;
quote:

"In Morocco, Tunisia and Algeria a tajine is a savory stew of fish, meat or
poultry.  The variety is endless---- a tajine can be a subtle red snapper
ragout , an assertive melange of mutton and quince, or a perfumed blend of
chicken with preserved lemons.

A tajine is slowly simmered in a tajine slaoui, a round, shallow,
flat-bottomed earthenware dish with a high conical lid.  The lid fits snugly
into a lip in the dish so that steam and flavor cannot escape during
cooking. "

It goes on to describe dining customs and the dimensions of individual
tajine slaoui of of which they show both a "for use" and a "serving piece
only".  Best you check to see if what they are selling can be put in the
oven.  Oddly enough they provide a recipe for "Lamb Tagine with Fried
Eggplant" in which they use the alternative spelling you provided.  They
cribbed it from "Couscous and other Good Food from Morocco"  by Paula
Wolfert  ISBN: 0-06-091396-7.  My copy of her book shows numerous beef,
lamb, veal, chicken, and fish dishes.  As I understand that it is still
currently in print you might stop by B&N or what have you and check it out.
What price do they have on the tagine?  My 1977 ICC shows a price of $30.00
for the "for use" version and $36.00 for the highly decorated "serving only"
model.

Daniel Raoul le Vascon de Navarre', who as he has not had his din din can be
called, The Hungry.