SC - Thoughts on

grizly at mindspring.com grizly at mindspring.com
Tue Jan 11 07:11:27 PST 2000

As for acceptance of PhD dissertation as research for our purposes, I believe it comes to a matter of scope and purpose of the information.  We are attempting to recreate historical cookery 'artifacts' whereas a dissetation is intended to advance the general and specific knowledge base of its topic in a meaningful manner.  If this text is the most detailed or informed treatment of the topic to date, then it will be accepted by that particular scholarly community.  The original dissertation would likely be a more valuable text for our use as historical cooks than the marketed book.  We have a different standard that we hold information to due to our intent and use of the info.  It does not demean the work or informnation gathered by the researcher, just makes it less useful to us.

I hope this is a useful viewpoint.  The book has been on my shelf for several months, and bred similar concerns in my mind and conversations.  It is a great start on making us aware of the culture, and I await the next, more historically founded treatment of the material to take this information further.

niccolo difrancesco
>>>sca-cooks at Ansteorra.ORG wrote:
Also, what I've read so far has brought up a question of methodology for me - in the past we've discussed oral tradition in cookery and often dismissed it as unreliable, at least if you try to create ties back that far.  Yet it is used heavily as a basis and constantly to confirm the findings in this book.  Is that considered valid scholarship at the collegiate level?  If it would be accepted for a PhD dissertation (which is what this book originally was) why would we not accept it in our work?

Thoughts?

Caitlin Ruadh
AEthelmearc