SC - Oogy gingerbread problem

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Wed Jan 19 19:21:08 PST 2000

Lurking Girl wrote:

> First, a definition:  by oogy, I mean blooping all over the place.
> Think "The Blob".  Utter lack of ability to hold a shape.
> Anyways, tonight marks my third attempt at good ole FoC gingerbrede.
> The first time, I used the 1c honey to 1c breadcrumbs ratio in the
> Miscellany. It was too oogy.  Second time, I used the ratio in 1000 Eggs
> (1c honey to 1 3/4c breadcrumbs).  Still too oogy.
> Tonight, I upped the voltage to 2 cups breadcrumbs.  STILL too oogy!

First- what is the humidity level? Are your breadcrumbs really dry or
still soft? They can be like sponges- they'll hold more damp than dry.

Second- are you boiling the syrup long enough? I don't have the recipe
in front of me, but I seem to remember that you have to bail for a bit
like fudge, to get it to 'set up'

Third- did you check the file in the Florilegium? I am pretty sure that
there wwas just these sorts of questions there on this recipe.

'Lainie