SC - Meat for 250

Steven Cowley scowley at uswest.net
Thu Jan 20 11:45:35 PST 2000

Well its off to the races for me.  Time for our baronial birthday feast
and revel.  It also happens to be the investiture for a new baron and
baroness.  You know the type...King and Queen, all of the baronial
cousins, etc.

Historically, this has been a potluck event...no worries, just come, eat
and enjoy.  And, oh by the way bring a period dish that feeds eight
people.  Result, a potluck feast with quasi period food at best and fun
was had by all ;-)

Well the new baron wanted a semi prepared feast (i.e. the barony
provides the meat and the populace brings potluck side dishes).  "I
signed up for this?  What was I thinking of?"  Well, cooking that much
meat for that many people isn't a problem, a little bit of beef, poultry
for those who don't eat red meat and wahlah...dinner is served.
Everything will be cooked on site, the feast coordinator deals with the
cleanup and I am left with a dozen dutch ovens to clean (no small task
in and of itself, but no one touches my dutch ovens).

Now for the dilemma.  The new baron secured about 35 lbs. of venison (a
donation from a brother-in-law) and all of a sudden its a three meat
affair, venison, beef and peacock.  Now, I have eaten  venison a time or
two, but I have never cooked it.  Is venison one of those meats that is
better if cooked on the rare side like beef or the well done side like
pork?  Hmm...I guess I could chop it up, throw it all together in a pot
and make a stew <wicked smile>.

But seriously, any suggestions would be a big help.

Steffan of the Close