SC - RE: Cooking Symposium

Decker, Margaret margaret at Health.State.OK.US
Fri Jan 21 08:50:05 PST 2000

	Bear said that since he and I got to different classes to send in my
impressions even though I don't write well, so here goes.
	 My only regret was that I couldn't do everything.

	 I was very impressed by the work Caroline and her friends are doing
in England. Two points that really stuck with me are:
	 They work from memory - no paper with recipes etc. in sight - books
would not be in the kitchen.  Only linen and wool for clothing as a safety
measure .Because linen is much slower to catch fire and wool tends to just
smoke. Cotton catches more easily and chemically created fabrics tend to
melt and stick to you.
	 She also talked about the fact that on a large estate, the kitchen
is a separate part of the food processing going on all the time. The baking
was done separately, as were butchering, animal husbandry, wood gathering
and storage, gardening, the dairy and more that I can't remember.

	The class on sugar plate was great, and while I doubt that I'll get
very good at it, I am going to play with it some.

	The food we ate was delicious. We had four meals cooked as classes
in all and the results were wonderful. The two lunches were served buffet
style and the other two were sit down meals. The local group had a very
talented trio of musicians who played for our pleasure as we dined, as well
as for the dancing between courses and after the two dinners. The dinners
were served by well trained cheerful servers and the candle lit atmosphere
was enhanced by fresh flowers on the table.

	I found everyone who attended to be most pleasant, conversations
were lively, and the only harsh word I heard the whole weekend was from
someone who stepped into the mud beside the sidewalk.

	Everyone that I talked to wants to do this again so I hope to see
the rest of you as well as those who attended next year.   Margarite