SC - 16th Century Recipes

Daniel Phelps phelpsd at gate.net
Sun Jan 23 18:35:08 PST 2000

Was written:

>Greetings all.  Does anyone have ideas of "late" period sources for
recipes?
>Our Gracious Queen would like 16th century recipes at her A&S.  It does not
>appear to be an issue as to the type of cuisine, or location, just 16th
>century.

My Lady;

While I am sure others far more knowledgeable that I can make much better
suggestions this is what I have in my library which I suggest might both fit
the bill and be generally available with modest effort:

The Sensible Cook; Dutch Foodways in the Old and New World, Translated and
Edited by Peter G. Rose ISBN 0-8156-0241-3

Elinor Fettiplace's Receipt Book; Elizabethan Country House Cooking, Hilary
Spurling, ISBN 0-670-81592-6

Martha Washington's Book of Cookery, Edited and annotated by Karen Hess
(No this is not colonial American cookery book but a copy of two earlier
English
family books with additional out of period recipes included.

Renaissance Recipes, by Gillian Riley ISBN 1-56640-577-7

Pepys at Table; Seventeenth century recipes for the modern cook.
Christopher Driver and Michelle Berriedale-Johnson  ISBN 0-520-05386-9

All of the above span out of the 16th and into the 17th century, some more
than others. They all have the advantage of being generally available and if
used judiciously they
should give a good spread, English, Dutch and Italian...

Daniel Raoul le Vascon de Navarre' called by many people many things but by
the English, Leadenpenny.