SC - Seven Centuries of English Cooking

Aldyth at aol.com Aldyth at aol.com
Tue Jan 25 12:40:44 PST 2000

Is anyone familiar with this book?  It was written by Maxime de la Falaise.
It was sitting in my library and Lady Noemi and I were looking for recipes
for the A&S feast so we prerused it.  I think our Cooking Guild will do a
comparison study if this person thinks their interpretation is anywhere near
period. (Tongue in cheek here).  Two recipes caught my eye.  One was "Crab
and Salmon Mould" which is taken from _Two Fifteenth-Century Cookery Books_
the recipe reads "Vyaunde de Cyprys in Lent".  It bears little resemblance to
Cindy Renfrows interpretation, believe me.  I would be glad to post all three
recipes if you want.  I don't even see how Maxime's recipe would result in a
molded thing.

The other was titled "Meatloaf with Almonds" from _Ancient Cookery 1381_
original recipe "For To Make a Bruet of Sarcynesse".  Basically Maxime made
it into a casserole meatloaf instead of boiling and mixing the ingredients.
It makes me want to really investigate each and every interpretation I see.

Aldyth

Aldyth