SC - Eternal soup pots

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Thu Jan 27 21:31:50 PST 2000

Margali replied to my comments on Eternal Soup Pots with:
> Well, since i tend to get up and go to the 'necessary' 2 or 3 times
> during the night, I just threw on a log each time I passed the fire pit,
> and it was kept fed during the day pretty much the same way, I didn't
> tend to worry too much. Now if I were able to sleep through the night,
> then I'd worry. I am thinking for next year to make the eternal kettle
> vegan so the people that were by last year that were kosher/vegans would
> have something they could eat.

Yes, but there were at least two times that I got up to check on the fire,
for various reasons, and it was down quite low and the stock was luke warm.
Others also mentioned their concerns over possible spoilage.

Of course one time I got up because my tent was suddently bright and I
wanted to check to make sure the camp wasn't on fire. :-)

I think a vegan soup pot might solve this. Would beef or chicken broth
be as susceptible to spoilage as soup with chunks of chicken or meat in
it? I think that a vegan soup would be rather bland myself but I'm willing
to be convinced otherwise. Just don't tell me the wierd vegatables that
are in it.

> I am also considering making muffin bread in canning jars [and canning
> them] so we have breakfasty/entertainment goodies without much effort.
> Any comment?

What is this "muffin bread"? In canning jars? How do you get it out of
the jar? With a spoon? Or by breaking the jar?

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net