SC - Vigil Repast

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Sat Jan 1 17:35:20 PST 2000

annaoftderturm at pathway.net writes:

<< I did  not know what they were. I would like to make them for a vigil next
weekend. My question is, can they be made ahead of time, and can they be
served at room temperature?

 Thank you,
  Anna oftderTurm >>

Well, if people are finding them laying around on buffets, they appear to be
able to be made ahead of time. So far as leaving things out to serve at room
temperature, I do it all the time as I absolutely loath any food that is
served at any other temperature under normal circumstances.

If you have web access, you might also want to try incorporating some period
finger foods into your vigil repast. Stefan's Flore-thingy has many suitable
recipes archived there although the search engine has some flaws.

You might also find  some suitable recipes in books like 'Take a Thousand
Eggs', the Medieval Kitchen, etc. being  careful to select recipes that have
the original recipe  with the redaction so you can correct errors such as the
use of bread crumbs in place of bread slices, the use of  chicken in a recipe
that clearly indicates lamb or beef or the use of wine and wheat flour when
blood  and rice flour is indicated.

Since even the most fanatically detailed of us has made rare mistakes or
inappropriate substitutions in an otherwise valid periodlike rendering of a
recipe, checking the redaction at hand with the original is always a good
idea. Never trust a recipe to be accurate on the basis of the author but
rather on it's own merits and it's faithfulness in rendering the original
recipe

Good luck on your vigil  feast. :-)

Ras