SC - cooking/cooling large food quantities.

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sun Jan 2 19:02:40 PST 2000

Anahita mentioned:
> Then people ate the paella. *I did not* And most of them got upset
> stomachs, because, of course, that with much rice in such big
> containers, the center of the paella never got cool (mmmm, good, warm
> chicken and rice sitting around for over 12 hours.)

Yes, and large amounts of food, including rice, have similar effects
when you try to heat them rather than cool them. I remember a very good
discussion back in the very early days of this list about how to cook
large amounts of grain or rice so that they came out as expected. The sheer
mass of food means it cooks differently and the change is non-linear
when scaled from your home stovetop quantity to feast quantities.

I saved a number of these messages and I believe they can now be found
in these files in the FOOD section of my Florilegium:
frumenty-msg      (48K)  4/ 7/99    A period cooked grain dish, often barley.
rice-grains-msg   (78K) 12/21/99    Medieval rice and grains. Recipes. Cooking.

(I know no one was asking for this info, but it has been a while since this
was discussed and we have new folks who weren't around then, who I thought
might find this useful.)

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net