SC - [Fwd: ANST - recipe]

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu Jan 6 10:34:08 PST 2000

"Mark.S Harris" wrote:

> I am forwarding this request from the Ansteorra list. Hopefully,
> Count Gunthar and others haven't already done this.
>
> Please reply directly to Ascelyn as she is not on this list. Or
> at least CC her.
>
> I'm afraid I don't even know what this Kadayif is, much less
> know if it is period or have a recipe.
>
> Lord Stefan li Rous
> stefan at texas.net
>
> Subject: ANST - recipe
> Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2000 06:15:05 MST
>  From: Lael Portwood <rlportwood at earthlink.net>
>
> Does anyone have a recipe for Kadayif?  Sorry to take up space but I'm
> not on the cook's list.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Ascelyn

At the moment I don't have a recipe handy, but you might try checking
under the spelling of kataif or kadaif. The dish is essentially a filled
pancake (usually with nuts or cheese) covered with a rosewater and sugar
or honey syrup. Some versions call for a commercially prepared pastry
made by pouring a batter through a sieve onto a griddle; the finished
pastry then looks a bit like shredded wheat. We discussed this on the
cooks' list pretty recently, and I think Lord Bear has a recipe, if I'm
not mistaken. I found several hits when I did a Web search for kataif,
but no recipe. Yet...

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy