SC - Re: Wafers

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Thu Jan 6 23:34:31 PST 2000

Adamantius said:
> As I recall that recipe is in "Take A Thousand Eggs or More", but I
> could be mistaken, and am unable to check at the moment. Does anybody know?

Thank you. I'll take a look there.

> As for savory wafers, yes, cheese versions exist which would probably be
> ideal, but which may not be completely in keeping with people's
> expectations (rightly or wrongly) of what a wafer should be: non-sweet
> wafers tend to be slightly limp and rubbery compared to sweet ones,

This was pretty much what I got and why I'm going back to the sweet wafers
at least for now. And they seemed to firm up after they cooled down but
then got limper later. They also were chewy and tasted "stale". I will
have to try them again with a definitely new sack of flour. They were
also bland with little cheese taste. Perhaps a stronger tasting cheese
than parmesan would work better.

Of the period recipes, some mix the cheese into the batter. Others
put dough on both of the wafer irons, heat them, then put the cheese
on top of one wafer and press the other on top of that. This creates
more of a filling. I'd like to do this, but I can see how to do it
with most pizzelle irons which are hinged together and probably, like
mine, only open to ninety degrees.

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net