SC - Turnips

Glenda Robinson glendar at compassnet.com.au
Sun Jan 9 21:33:57 PST 2000

Kerri wrote:

>A worthwhile note: The reconstruction of armored turnips that we did (using
>Gruyere cheese and a powder douce recipe we now can't find anywhere) was a
hit.
>In fact, many people had no idea that they were eating turnips at all. Ha
HA!
>The secret, peel, cut up and cook the turnips for about ten minutes in
boiling
>water, then throw out the water. Turnips lose a lot of their bitterness
that
>way.

Last year the (then) Captayne of the Routiers (who are mostly rabid meat
eaters) did a turnip dish over the fire on our winter campaign. Everyone
took a little to taste, with their meat dish, then went back for seconds,
thirds, etc, and were absolutely RAVING about the dish. I asked what he'd
done and he'd just boiled them, drained them and mashed them with lashings
of butter.
The extra fat didn't matter, as we all burned it up in the
freezing cold, gale forced wind, rain and sleet (and a light touch of snow
as we were packing up). In Sydney our lowest minimum temps in winter are
about 2C (34ishF), so wer'e not used to this sort of weather - it's 29C(84F)
where I'm sitting now (4pm), and I'm not hot.

Glenda.