OOP was Re: SC - Happy New Year (OT)

Steve Brooks SBrooks at FPDSavills.co.uk
Mon Jan 10 08:04:07 PST 2000

The rule is

Every year that is divisible by 4 is a leap year...(eg 2004, 2008)
except where
Every year that is divisible by 100 is not a leap year (eg 2100,2200)
unless
Every year that is divisible by 400 is a leap year (eg 2000,2400)

A lot of software got this wrong, some programmers knew the first rule, a
few new both rule one and two and even less knew about rule 3.  So you hope
that the programmer was either very good or very bad, Microsoft programmers
are obviously mediocre and hence the problem.

Regards

Steve Brooks

- -----Original Message-----
From: Jeff Gedney [mailto:JGedney at dictaphone.com]
Sent: 10 January 2000 15:27
To: sca-cooks at Ansteorra.ORG
Subject: Re: OOP was Re: SC - Happy New Year (OT)

Margali, my dear,
I think the point is that there was a problem in the programming of
dates in earlier versions of EXCEL (and this is a common Y2K
bug) that did nto take into account that the Current calendar is set
up that the century years are NOT leap years, but that Milennial
years ARE. This is to take into account the fact that the year is
Slightly MORE than 365 1/4 years long, and if the Leap year was
EVERY 4 years without exception, then the calendar would slip
as measured astronomically a little under a day a century.

Most versions of this error take either one or the other of these
exceptions into account, and either do NOT male 2000 a leap
year (most common), or make 1900 a leap year.

A properly calibrated calendar makes centennial years normal, and
millenial years leap years.

( or is that the other way around? )

Damned horology...

Brandu
 ("Your elbow is soooooo exquisite....")

>>> Marilyn Traber <margali at 99main.com> 01/07 6:23 PM >>>
I thought leap year automatically meant feb 29th, which is why it is
called leap day...
margali
puzzled in canterbury

FWIW, anything excel based "knows" about this exception.  I hear turns
of
century don't have the leap day unless they are divisible by 1000 (so
this
correction comes in every millenium).  But, like you, I could  be
wrong.)
At any rate, when I was creating something this morning and used "fill,
down, series, date" I noted that 02/29/2000 was not left out.

Bonne